The owner of a successful Dairy/Cheese/Compost Farm Operation in central Massachusetts is nearing retirement and would like to see his farm operation continue and is willing to provide a “young entrepreneur” with the opportunity to be the next generation owner.
The owner of a successful farm in central Massachusetts is nearing retirement and would like to see his farm operation continue and is willing to provide a “young entrepreneur” with the opportunity to be the next generation owner.
This farm is a diversified business operation that combines a modern 200 cow freestall facility, with an established cheese business and a growing compost operation. All three ventures are profitable with low capital overhead.
The 43 acre (purchase feed) farm is improved with all buildings necessary, along with four homes and a 2 bedroom house trailer. Energy efficiency improvements have recently been completed including an extensive solar panel system.
Well established markets are in place for both the cheese and the compost. The owner is willing to consider owner financing toward the ultimate purchase.
The successful candidate will first be an employee for a trial period. If this trial period is successful, the candidate will then transition to a management role, after which the candidate will have an opportunity to purchase this business.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate their ability to transition from worker, to manager to owner from all aspects of business operations. The candidate can be an individual or could be a couple.
Specific qualifications are:
- College Degree – Preferred. Specialization in agriculture or business.
- Passion – Critical attribute of this position. This position should be a mission, not a job!
- Self Starter – Must be self-motivated and able to take the initiative without constant direction.
- Social Skills – Must interact well with all personality types and levels.
- Organization Skills – Must be highly organized to be able to work on multiple tasks in multiple businesses simultaneously.
- Flexibility – Must be able to adapt as business conditions, personnel and weather conditions require.
- Positive Attitude – Critical for close working relationship with owner, employees and customers.
- History of financial success – This is not a first or even second position. What financial success have you had up to this point?
- Farming experience – What is your farming experience?
Selection of the successful candidate will be a three step process.
Step One: The first step will be submission of your resume and a narrative that addresses all of the qualifications above to show that you are the right candidate for this opportunity. This submission should be emailed to the contact person detailed below.
Step Two: From these submissions the top candidates will be interviewed by both the contact person and the farmer to determine if it is a good “fit” from both sides. Additional information will likely be requested prior to the interview. A tour of the farm operation and a preview of the farm’s financials will be made available (subject to a confidentiality agreement).
Step Three: An offer will be made to the chosen candidate, detailing salary and benefits during the trial period, along with job expectations and job review process. An approximate transition timeline will be described but not yet formally agreed upon. A thirty day response time will be given.
The contact person will be Jon Jaffe, a Farm Business Consultant with Farm Credit East, who has been hired by the farmer to assist in this effort. Jon can be contacted through email at OtterRiverHR@FarmCreditEast.com.
Only those interested and with the ability to obtain ultimate ownership need apply.