Farm Credit Awards $47,340 to Support Farm and Forest Products Programs
May 24, 2017
Farm Credit Northeast AgEnhancement Program recently awarded $47,340 to 19 organizations to promote northeast agriculture, support young and beginning farmer initiatives and fund agricultural youth programs.
The program is a joint effort of Farm Credit East, Yankee Farm Credit and CoBank. Since its inception in 1996, Farm Credit Northeast AgEnhancement has awarded more than $1.99 million through 730 grants.
Recent grant recipients
The most recent grants highlight Farm Credit’s ongoing partnership with organizations that make a significant difference in the lives of people involved in all aspects of agriculture.
- New York Animal Agriculture Coalition received an $8,000 grant to support the Dairy Cow Birthing Center at the New York State Fair.
- Cornell University Dairy Fellows will use its $7,500 grant to prepare students to enter dairy industry careers. Students tour dairy farms and learn about challenges and opportunities in the dairy industry.
- A $5,000 grant was awarded to the Cooperative Development Institute to create a comprehensive online directory of cooperatives in the six New England states and New York.
- Working Lands Alliance/American Farmland Trust received a $4,000 grant to support a Northeastern States Renewable Energy on Farms Workshop.
- A $3,000 grant to the Farm Financial Standards Council (FFSC) will support a farm bus tour to introduce attendees of the national FFSC annual meeting to New York agriculture.
- New Hampshire Ag-in-the-Classroom received a $3,000 grant to purchase maple production supplies to be used by classrooms statewide as part of its agriculture curriculum.
- New York State Junior Holstein Association received a $2,500 grant to support its 2018 State Convention.
- America’s Grow-a-Row was awarded a $2,250 grant to support Grow-a-Row Kids Farm Days for New Jersey children from low income areas to participate in a day of hands-on learning and farming.
- A $1,500 grant to the National Young Farmers Coalition/Hudson Valley Young Farmers Coalition will be used to host the third annual New Farm Tour and Potluck Series.
- New Hampshire Association of Agricultural Educators received a $1,500 grant to support the National Association of Agricultural Educators Conference being held in New Hampshire.
- A $1,500 grant to Vital Communities (upper Connecticut River region of VT and NH) will support educational and networking programs for new and aspiring farmers.
- A $1,475 was awarded to UMaine Cooperative Extension to support its 2017 Maine Ag Leadership Conference.
- Stafford County Conservation District (impacts parts of NH and VT) received a $1,115 grant to support its campaign to recognize farmers who utilize cover cropping.
- A $1,000 grant to the Finger Lakes Cheese Alliance will help to expand educational components of the Finger Lakes Cheese Festival.
- Northeast Youth Sheep Show received a $1,000 grant to host its premier all-breed junior sheep show in July.
- New York Farm Bureau Foundation for Agricultural Education will use its $1,000 grant to print 10,000 copies of an ag activity book to be distributed at events across the state.
- A $1,000 grant to the Strolling of the Heifers will support its 2017 Entrepreneur to Table Summit to be held in Brattleboro, Vermont.
- Brass City Harvest (Waterbury, CT) and Creative Living Community of Connecticut, Inc. also received funding to support their programs.
For more information:
Contact: Kristie Schmitt