Join a team focused on the success of our customers, the success of our communities, and the success of each other. Farm Credit East is the leading provider of loans and financial accounting services to farmers, foresters, fishermen, and agricultural business owners across the northeast with over $7 billion in loan volume and over $25 million in financial accounting service revenue generated annually. When you pursue a career with Farm Credit East, you have the opportunity to positively impact the families and businesses that drive the Northeast economy.
As a Business/Tax Consultant, you will provide high level consulting services for a fee to Farm Credit East clients. This position will focus on serving clients in various agricultural industries, specifically advising in the areas of taxation, profitability improvement, capital budgeting, cash flow management, and business planning/management. The successful candidate may also advise clients in the areas of intergenerational transfer, estate/retirement planning, entity selection and implementation, and business dissolution.
The successful candidate is expected to have seasoned knowledge in tax preparation and tax planning, as well as extensive experience in various business management topics. This individual needs the interpersonal skills to work in a consultative manner with farm business people and the drive to seek out and sell sufficient consulting engagements to meet billing goals. This position requires travel primarily along the east coast from Maine down to Connecticut and Rhode Island.
With minimal supervision, depending upon experience, the incumbent is accountable for:
- Customer Service - Deliver high value/high quality consulting service by being impartial, accurate, innovative, a good facilitator, and a good communicator with the client and other professionals involved on the client's behalf.
- Program Profitability - Contribute to profitability by pricing fairly, ensuring that all time and other resources are properly billed, using time effectively, controlling expenses and aggressively seeking to be more efficient.
- Marketing - Increase sales of accounting services, business consulting and all Farm Credit East services by identifying follow-up needs for clients, assisting other staff in understanding and selling services and providing handoffs to other FCE staff.
- Teamwork - Be an excellent team player by involving other accounting staff in engagements and working closely with loan officers and other service providers to keep them informed of the status of the client project.
- Special Projects & Member Relations - Contribute as a member of the benchmark program teams and participate in Association and Maine/Northeast industry related organizations.
- Undergraduate degree in agricultural economics, production agriculture, business or accounting. A Masters or MBA considered a definite plus.
- Minimum of 7-10 years' experience in agribusiness, whether as loan officer, accounting, agribusiness management, or educator that demonstrates seasoned understanding and application of business management skills, specifically within the dairy industry.
- Minimum of 5-7 years' experience in taxation, including preparing tax returns for various levels of entities and performing extensive tax planning services.
- Outstanding people skills with proven ability to listen, explain, motivate, facilitate and develop rapid credibility with clients.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, i.e., ability to communicate complex issues in terms the client can readily understand. This includes the ability to self-manage multiple client engagements and to complete the writing of follow-up reports in the designated turnaround time back to the client.
- Ability to pass the Farm Credit Tax Specialist designation within first year of hire and becoming certified as a Business Consultant within 2 years.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Farm Credit East is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law. It is our goal to make employment decisions that further the principle of equal employment opportunity by utilizing objective standards based upon an individual's qualifications for a specific job opening. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”), if you have a disability and would like a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for a position with Farm Credit East, please call 1-800-562-2235 or e-mail email@example.com.