Crop & Livestock Insurance

Considering the changes in climate and markets, crop and livestock insurance can play an essential role in your risk management strategy.
Hands holding crop seedling

Our insurance is tailored for ag.

Farm Credit East offers insurance through Crop Growers, LLP, which is an independent insurance agency that only sells and services crop and livestock insurance.
Crop and livestock specialization
Since Crop Growers focuses solely on crop and livestock insurance, we know your business in and out and can effectively explain programs to you.
All specialists are salaried – no commissions
Our guidance is based on what's right for you and nobody else.
Finance and crop insurance teamwork
Our financial and crop insurance teams work together so you get the plan that protects your business, not just your crop.

Insurance We Offer

  • Multi-Peril Crop Insurance (MPCI)
  • Yield Protection (YP)
  • Revenue Protection (RP)
  • Livestock Gross Margin – Dairy (LGM)
  • Whole Farm Revenue Protection (WFRP)
  • Crop Hail Coverage
  • Pasture, Rangeland & Forage (PRF)
  • Dairy Revenue Protection (DRP)

Contact your local Crop Growers agent to get started.

Crop & Livestock Insurance FAQs

Absolutely. In fact, Northeast producers have received more than $553 million in crop loss payments from the Federal Crop Insurance Program while paying just about $187 million in premiums. If these growers had self-insured, Northeast agriculture would have suffered a loss of more than $366 million in equity.

The cost of crop insurance is well below the cost of commercial private insurance and ranges from just 2% to 7% of the liability. In addition, the government subsidizes from 55% to 100% of the premium. And, based on the numbers mentioned above, the cost/risk of self-insurance is far greater. So, the cost of crop insurance coverage is really minimal.

It’s true that not all crops are insured in every county. But if you grow a crop that is insurable somewhere in the United States (and it’s not under a pilot program), your crop insurance agent may be able to request rates that offer the same program and protection as insurable crops. If no program is available in the United States, the NAP program (Non-Insured Assistance Program) is available from the Farm Service Agency.

No. Qualified losses range from 15% to 50%   based on your coverage level choice. If you maintain production records by farm serial numbers, crop type, practice or noncontiguous land, you may be able to break your farm into separate insurable units. A crop loss on just one parcel, for example, may qualify for an indemnity payment. Talk to your agent about crop provisions for optional unit requirement and eligibility.

Your production records, not the county average, are used to determine the production history. The county average is used only when you lack proper records.

All you need to supply are your planted acreage records and production report. Perennial crop producers supply a pre-acceptance worksheet with information, such as insurable and uninsurable acres and crop age. That’s it!