AgEnhancement Application Guidelines
Statement of Purpose
The Farm Credit Northeast AgEnhancement Program (Farm Credit AgEnhancement) was established to support programs, projects, events and other activities that promote and strengthen the agriculture, forest products or commercial fishing industries in the region. The program is a shared effort of the Farm Credit associations in the states of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Vermont and CoBank, with a regional office in Enfield, Connecticut.
Support from the Farm Credit AgEnhancement program normally ranges from between $500 and $10,000. Applicants that clearly demonstrate how a program, project, activity or event will have a long-term positive effect on the agriculture, forest products or the commercial fishing industries in the eight-state Northeast region are encouraged to seek funding.
Farm Credit AgEnhancement provides support for efforts intended to foster and grow all types of agriculture including both traditional and non-traditional production and marketing approaches. Further, we support programs intended to assist all size farms, promote diversity and create opportunities for new entrants into agriculture.
Program Goals & Eligibility
The Farm Credit AgEnhancement program is intended to support programs, projects, events and other activities that enhance agriculture, commercial fishing and the forest products industry in the region. Program areas in which financial support may be provided include, but are not limited to:
- Programs, projects and activities that assist in the development of young and beginning farmers.
- Programs, projects and activities that encourage leadership development to strengthen agriculture and the food and fiber industries. This includes programs and projects that encourage youth involvement in agricultural activities.
- Programs, projects and activities that are intended to generate a greater understanding and appreciation of agriculture and the food and fiber industries throughout the region.
- Programs that recognize the accomplishments of leaders of the agriculture and food and fiber industries.
- Programs that are undertaken to study or advance the economic viability of agriculture and the food and fiber industries in the Northeast.
- Special activities and events that promote agriculture/horticulture/forest products/commercial fishing industry interest.
Contributions will be made with the higher priority given to programs and projects having a Northeast (eight states) impact and clearly address the program goals. Grant recipients shall take steps to publicize the receipt of the grant in newsletters and similar materials. Statewide projects and regional projects within a state are also eligible.
The following are ineligible for funding from this program:
- One county or local school projects.
- Programs and projects of non-agricultural charities.
- Contributions for political support purposes, scholarships or memberships in professional societies or trade organizations.
- General operating funds and ongoing program support.
- Support for website administration and enhancement.
- Capital or building projects.
- Projects for an individual or individual farm operation.
- The Farm Credit AgEnhancement program is not intended as a source of funds for contributions to annual state meetings, general business or corporate meetings or regularly scheduled conferences.
- Farm Credit AgEnhancement will not fund indirect costs associated with sponsored projects.
Requests are considered by a review committee with representation from throughout the Northeast. The decision as to funding is at the discretion of the Farm Credit AgEnhancement Program.
Procedure and Requirements
Farm Credit AgEnhancement makes grants upon the review of an Application Summary and letter request. Up to three pages of supporting materials may also be included. Requests shall be made in accordance with the procedures set forth in this document. The following materials are to be submitted via the online application:
- Completion of the one-page Farm Credit Northeast AgEnhancement Application Summary. Be sure to complete all the information regarding funding requested.
- A letter outlining the purpose of the proposed program, activity or event and describing how it will be conducted. The letter should not be longer than two pages and include the following:
- Specific information as to what is intended to be accomplished and the amount of funding being requested.
- Indicate other sponsoring organizations and other financial contributions.
- Specific dates for activities and events and whether program/event sponsors will be asked to participate in any manner.
- Specific information on how receipt of the grant will be reported in the recipient’s newsletters, press releases, event handouts and other materials. Budget information indicating how the AgEnhancement funds will be used and information regarding the total cost of the project/event/program and the proportion of funding being sought from Farm Credit AgEnhancement. An application must be complete with this budget related information.
3. Supporting information, not to exceed three pages may also be included.
Diversity and Inclusion
Farm Credit AgEnhancement welcomes submission of proposals from all parts of our society. We encourage proposals from organizations that promote or facilitate minority involvement in agriculture and agriculture related businesses. To facilitate our diversity objective, Farm Credit AgEnhancement will accept and consider one-county proposals that would otherwise not be eligible.
Disclosure Requirement for Farm Credit Directors and Employees
Any directors or employees of a Northeast Farm Credit associations or CoBank shall clearly indicate their affiliation with Farm Credit in the letter seeking funding support from Farm Credit AgEnhancement. Failure to disclose this information shall cause the project to be ineligible for consideration.
Project Application Deadlines
Proposals for Farm Credit AgEnhancement grant funding will be considered three times per year: April 1, August 1 and December 1. For consideration, an application with the letter and other materials must be received by the close of business on April 1, August 1 and December 1. Receipt of projects after these dates will be held for consideration in the next review. It is recommended that the application be submitted in a grant cycle well in advance of the project date so that if the project is funded, the applicant will receive funding prior to the project start date. For example: if the project date is August 29-31, 20XX, then the application should be submitted for the April 1 grant cycle. Applicants will be notified by email that the application has been received. Applicants are encouraged to contact AgEnhancement if they do not receive an acknowledgement email. Notification of the funding decision will normally be within 30 days of the application deadline. Funding proposals shall be emailed to: AgEnhancement@FarmCreditEast.com.
Questions may be directed to:
If email is not available, application materials may be mailed to:
Farm Credit AgEnhancement Program
240 South Road
Enfield, CT 06082
Thank you for your interest in the Northeast Farm Credit AgEnhancement Program.