Supporting agriculture, commercial fishing, forest products and rural communities
Farm Credit East is involved in a number of public policy issues that impact our ability to serve our customer-owners and carry out our public policy mission.
Our policy role varies on each issue, from grassroots actions and coalition building to issue advocacy. Our activities include:
- Meetings with national and state legislators
- Letter-writing campaigns to policymakers
- Coalition group participation
- Testimony at hearings
- Economic analysis reports
How we work
We coordinate information with general farm organizations and cooperatives to support issues, such as:
- Farm Bill provisions supported by Northeast farm organizations
- Workable policies to allow agricultural guest workers and immigration reform
- Budget proposals that strengthen agriculture's competitive position
- Regulatory reforms to reduce our costs and allow us to serve the emerging needs of our members
- Support for Farm Credit's role in financing agriculture, farm-related businesses and other rural homeowners and businesses
- Inclusion of agriculture and Farm Credit in economic development programs at the state level
- Fair implementation of various regulatory rules
Below are links to recent articles, reports and other resources containing information on current public policy issues.
Washington Update (Summer 2018): Looking back and Forging Ahead - 40 years in Public Policy
Washington Update (Fall 2018): Update on the Farm Bill
March 2019 Knowledge Exchange Partner: The 2018 Farm Bill, What’s Inside?
Washington Update (Spring 2019): Agriculture Policy and the 116th Congress