Greenhouse, Nursery and Sod
- The 2022 spring season was very good for most green industry sectors. Wholesale product movement and pricing have been strong, but supply, labor and cost challenges are significant.
- Most growers have been able to raise their prices and stick to them, but rising costs are limiting the increase in profit margins.
- Increases in freight costs and tight availability of long-haul trucks and drivers gives Northeast growers an advantage over West coast competitors, although Northeast growers themselves are challenged with the availability of CDL drivers for regional deliveries.
- Most growers and garden center operators report that supply chain problems and product shortages are largely resolving, although prices have increased across the board.
- As with other agricultural sectors, the availability and cost of labor continues to be a challenge for all skill and experience levels.
Meet the Authors
Connect with and discover our Today’s Harvest blog authors and their broad range of financial and Northeast agricultural expertise.